Nov 30, 2007

"Do NOT be afraid, for I am with you"

I am seriously afraid of dogs. I'm afraid of big dogs. I always think that I'll be able to step on a small dog or do something to it to scare it when it tries to attack me. But what can I do to a big agressive dog who's ready to eat me. Nothing. I'm helpless. I'm actually afraid to walk home alone. Most girls are afraid to be alone on friday night because they fear that some sicko will try to do something to them. Not the case for me! I walk home and I pray that there won't be any dogs around. You probably think that I was attacked by a dog when I was younger or that I had some kind of a really bad experience with them. Not really... I was at a friend's house a few years ago and I was smoking outside. Her dog was there, but she was a nice dog. But then my friend opened the door and the dog probably wasn't expecting it so it freaked out and kinda jumped on me. But honestly I don't think that's my problem. My fear of dogs is so bad that it gets very physical. I can tell that my heart is beating faster and I'm automatically looking around trying to see if there are any people there to save me in case something happenes. It's bad. It's limiting. I can't quite enjoy my walks home. What are you afraid of? Dogs? Bugs? Peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth(arachibutyrophobia)? Death? Pain? Water? ... We talked about fear at Intro tonight. Juro said a little bit about how limiting our fears are, how non- sense they are and how some of them are actually good fear. We gave our students time to discuss fear with their discussion leaders. I know many of them expressed that they were afraid of some things. We encouraged them to think about their fears a little more and see if there is someting that could help them overcome their fears. And our prayer is that one day they will fully understand what it means to not be afraid and trust the Lord completely. Because He tell us so many times not to be afraid.
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. ... The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

3 comments:

Ande Truman said...

Just jab your fingers in their eyeballs.

Nah, I definitely relate to that fear. One attacked my head when I was a kid, and this other one where I worked would try and attack me every time he saw me. He's white and I called him the White Devil.

Is arachibutyrophobia real? That's awesome!

You asked what we're afraid of. I am as afraid of spiders as you are of dogs. Even the little ones. I don't like being along in the dark outside either, especially if no one else is anywhere around. I'm afraid of someone I love dying too.

Seggi said...

Im afraid of death, and of not knowing what is there for me in future, yeah and insects freak me out too :)

as I said the other day, fear is VERY good thing to think about, especially what does it say about us and about our relationship with God

Ande Truman said...

I just did a search and saw that God tells us not to be afraid over 112 times. That is awesome. I wonder how many more times I'm gonna have to hear it to get it through my thick head? :)